Monday, May 3, 2004

Smoking

Someone asked me about smoking today. I used to smoke. I started smoking when I was 12 years old. Started on Kools.I smoked them until I was 15 and switched to Marlboro. Should have quit. I went to doc caused I was coughing blood, told me it was because of smoking, in particular smoking Kools. Said there was fiberglass in filters that was getting in my lungs and that was why I was bleeding. I was smoking 2 packs a day. Over the years I would smoke from less than half pack a day to over 3 packs. Went to school and got my degree in Respiratory and still continued smoking. Here I was sucking out peoples lungs that were full of snot from smoking or running a vent on people that had lung problems, giving breathing treatments, all the while I myself was continuing to smoke myself. The turning point came after my granddaughter was born. She was 5 months old and coughing, I quit that day. 3 packs a day. Cold turkey. Hardest thing I ever did. It is still hard. There are times when I still want one and it has been 6 years now. Turns out the reason she was coughing is because she has asthma and that she was having asthma attack.

Now my hunny is trying to quit again. It is hard on him and us. He is wearing the patch and doing well as far as not smoking. BUT I sometimes want to stick a smoke in his mouth! He went for 4 weeks on step 1 now he is down to step 2 but he does not know that. He never sees the patch because I put it on him and cover with a large bandaid because of his job. Been on it for 2 weeks going in third. I will keep you posted as to his progress.

2 comments:

  1. More power to ya! I started smoking at 13, because I thought I looked cool, but the reality was it made me want to puke. I smoked on and off through out the years and quit cold turkey many times. I have been smoke free now for 4 years. unfortunately I quit for reasons driven by vanity-lol- but hey, what ever works-right! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. (GO HUBBY ! YOU CAN DO IT!) QUITTING ANY ADDICTION IS VERY VERY HARD......BUT IT CAN BE DONE.....WITH GOD'S HELP.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, spam is not tolerated,