Thursday, December 16, 2004

A Christmas memory

     

       I was looking at my tree and remembering past   Christmases. One in particular I remember because it was the   last year I actually believed in Santa Claus.

    The excitement was building all week. We put our tree up 1   week before Christmas when I was a child. I was 9 years old   and I was ready for Santa.  My niece and nephew lived with us   in those days. All weel long long there had been a flurry of activity. Whispers and mysterous gifts appearing under the tree.My sister came in from out of town and I think there was someone else there.

On Christmas Eve we hung our stockings up on the door and placed our list in it for Santa, all I asked for was a doll. Lisa and I went to bed in the den on the sofa bed. this was a real treat for us. (Looking back I cannot for the life of me figure out what was so fun about sleeping on that lumpy bed!) The den had a door that looked like a window. It was glass. It was covered by a gold colored lace sheer curtain. we settled down and fell asleep, which was hard to do seeing how Santa was coming that night. During the night I woke up for some reason and sat up in bed. I saw my daddy coming in the front door carrying a bicycle. Not just any bicycle but a GIRL's Stingray! I was thrilled! I knew it was for me. I stayed real quiet, not waking up Lisa ao letting my Daddy know I was seeing him. I realized at that time that something was wrong because Santa was supposed to be bringing the toys.. I knew that my Daddy was Santa... I closed my eyes and went back to sleep.
     A short time later I woke up again and all was quiet. I could see the sparkle of the tree in the livingroom. I got up and just looked at the tree with all the gifts under it( which there was more of then when I went to bed!) and of course, the toys from Santa Claus. I sat on the floor with my legs over the floor heater and just looked at it all. I waited until the others got up and we went and woke up Mama and Daddy.

   Inever did tell about seeing my Daddy enter the door. I did not want to spoil it for Lisa and Doug.


6 comments:

  1. You couldn't spoil it if you tried. Very cute story.Hard as I'm trying to 'bah humbug" this years season, you, and other J-Landers, are just forcing that
    seasonal" joy, into me. I love it. rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I knew you were sweet but I didn't know it went back to when you were little...how nice that you didn't tell the others.  :)

    Sammie
    http://journals.aol.com/ladydriversammie/MovinOn

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bike!!!! wow!!! I can feel the joy you must have felt!!! And you didn't wake the others....and I know how much you must have wanted to go in there and sit on that bike!!!
    Carlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kept the secret for my brother's benefit too...which is weird, because I really couldn't stand him when we were growing up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe its my ADD however I couldnt read your entry because the background christmas trees make it really hard to read
    Sorry,,,,It s probably just me

    Donna In TEXAS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still can feel the magic if I turn off all the lights but the ones on the tree, and sit quietly, looking at all the prettily-wrapped stuff underneath.  :::sigh:::
    I love that quiet when everyone is sleeping and it's just you and the tree late at night.

    Turtle

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, spam is not tolerated,