Friday, March 3, 2006

thinking

I was doing some reading today and read an entry about a grandmother turning 100 years old. It got me to thinking about my Aunt Crissy. She was a spry old lady that enjoyed life. She lived in a small town and enjoyed a small town life. She married young and they moved into their small honeymoon cottage.. Shortly after they were married he was killed. She never remarried and stayed right there in their little house until she was 103 when she fell and broke her hip. She then sold her house and moved into a nursing home until her death at age 108. I remember one thing she used to tell us, live life well. She said that if we did then we would never regret what has happened to us. I remember when she sold her house, she said that it was time. I did not tell you how she broke her hip. Well.... she tripped over something in her yard. She was chasing down someone that broke into her house in the middle of the night! I can just see her waving her cane at him telling him to stop! LOL I remember something else. Once when we were there she pulled her dress up above her knees, she wore those old stockings that were rolled. Well anyway she said to me and my sister, " Oh I wish I was young like y'all and had my pretty legs back so I could wear those short dresses the girls do now!" She did a light hearted dance around the room and laughed and sat back down.

She was content with her life. She found happiness where she was at. She did not have to go searching the world for it. She found people to help right there where she lived. She knew what was happening in the world outside of her small town and she choosed to make her corner of the world a better place. She sewed and rolled and cooked and cleaned and just whatever she could to help others. She did not waste energy on anger. She gave love instead.

I wish I could be like her. I worry about things I can do nothing about. I need to not worry and just do what I can do. Do what I can to make my corner of the world a better place. Starting with my home. I know that it would please Pat (and myself) if my house was cleaner. I know that there are those saying so what. It is a so what, it would make me feel better. I hate what I have done. It is a perfect mess. I have to realize that I cannot make it a perfect clean in one day, actually I can never make it a perfect clean. I have to accept that and do what needs to be done to make it an acceptable clean somewhat short... ok a lot short, of perfect clean.

I have to turn my anger into something good, not let it work to destroy me and what I have.

I have to be true to myself, and that means I have to be honest with myself about things.

I have to let myself like me more than I do.

I need to live life well.

17 comments:

  1. Celeste what a dear lady your Aunt Crissy was ~ and such words of wisdom she spoke ~ "Live life well" she certainly did just that ~ can just imagine her chasing someone waving her cane ~ and yes "Be true to yourself "~ Ally

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say something snarky about you straining yourself with "thinking" but, then I read this entry and thought better of it.
    Very nice.
    Isn't it funny, I just used the word spry in an IM to a friend of mine in NYC. Interesting coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often wonder what it would be like to reach that age. I think that it takes a special person to experience that much living. Happy that you got to experience her!
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the story of your Aunt Crissy.  Oh that anyone of us will accomplish what she did in her lifetime, making her small corner of the world better.

    Celeste.... housework is like losing wait.  It takes a while to gain it, so it takes a while to lose it.  One day at a time.  One accomplishment at a time.

    Most important:  follow you aunt's advice!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a lady!  How nice that you had her in your life.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. So the secret to living that old is living well. Hmmmmm. It would be nice to live that old and be healthy.

    As for making the world a better place, you do just fine right here in your journal.

    Angela : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow she is aweomse how neat to ahv eknown her

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes its the hardest to be honest to yourself...weird but true

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Live life well" my friend.  I will do it, if you promise to do the same.  Live life well.  I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I a just as guilty friend.  You are a good person and a caring one so I do hope that you learn to like yourself more because a whole lot of us like you.  Take care and hugs.  Terryann.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a good role model, you will get there!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Celeste, your Aunt Crissy sounded like a wonderful woman who had great wisdom. :o)

    Sandra xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Celeste...I think you are a right nice person....and if you come and see me....just drop in anytime.....but if you come to see my house....give me thirty days notice....LOL...Hugs from KY....Ora

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a wonderful story,your aunt sounded like a wise awesome woman. wow  your aunt was 108 and granny 100?  I agree live each day to the fullest and dont look back to yesterday only forward ,one day at a time girl :)
    .thanks for sharing

    angelrose

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this story about your Aunt Crissy. She sounds like quite a gal. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE this entry hon'...like yourself..I think you're great.  Wanna pickle? ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Aunt Crissy, sounds like an Angel....and left you with good memories and great advice.     ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, spam is not tolerated,