Monday, October 11, 2004

thinking about stuff i like

I love this time of the year! Apples and pumpkins and colorful winter squash become standard parts of my decorations. Fall comes and I get the urge to decorate. I really do not care if anybody sees it, I do and that is what counts. I started digging my stuff out today while Brook was at school. I am missing a box somewhere... I will find it! I only have a half a dozen places to have placed it. I have wreathes and scarecrows, pumpkins and witches. Fall leaves and pinecones are something I have plenty of. My cookie cutters are out ready to get to work and my cookbooks are earmarked.

Friday I will probally go get my fruitcake stuff. I do not want to hear one word about YUCK! I use my Granny's recipe with a few modifications. She candied her own fruit and I use store bought kind.

There is a little story behind the fruitcake recipe. My Granny had a stroke when she was in her early 80's. She wrote down the recipe at that time. It had never been writen down before that. Unfortunately, she could not remember the measurements for the spices. I suppose for the most part she just looked at it and said that is right. I was looking in my mother's cookbooks and found the recipe tucked in it. This was about a year before she passed on. I decided that I would try and recreate my Granny's fruitcake. My mama loved fruitcake and so does my oldest sister that lives out in Vegas. I did a lot of searching of recipes to find a general idea on how to do the spices. I must have looked in a hundred recipes! I made the cake and it was a success! My Mama said that it was even better than my Granny's, more moist. I supposed it did not hurt that I used fresh black walnuts in it from my own trees..... and a lot of love goes into it every year now

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE fruitcake!  I have my mom's recipe that I try to make every year, and I usually end up eating it all myself, a little at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...mmm walnuts! LOL ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, how our Grandmother's always seemed to be wonderful cooks and how we try to continue with their recipes. I am glad your cake turned out well. How lovely to have fresh walnuts from your own tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have my address now Celeste i would love some....mmmm mmmm your making me hungry ,......I can even smell it baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmmmm-I love good fruitcake. You make me want to make some myself! Margo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I love fruit cake!! And I have never had the real homemade kind!! I bet it is GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fruitcake recipe sounds great.  My mother also had a good recipe for fruitcake; it's moist and tasty.  I make fruitcake every year.  I like it with our homemade wine.  It sounds odd, I know, but I dip the fruitcake in the wine and eat it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, well you all have me thinking that maybe I need to re-think my thoughts about fruitcake.  Maybe, just maybe, this year I will try some.  I wonder if I can get it without the fruit and frosted?!  LOL

    http://journals.aol.com/jillannemarie/OurFamily

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE FRUITCAKE ! AND I LOVE FALL TOO. WE PLAN TO PLANT MUMS NEXT WEEKEND AND GET SOME PUMPKINS AND A BALE OR TWO OF HAY...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It use to be like a law that everyone made a fruitcake ahead of the holidays. People seem to either love it or hate it. My girls hate it so after my husband died I quit making them. I can feel fall in the air just reading your entry. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE fruitcake.  Maybe you should give us the recipe! -Krissy
    http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm probably one of the few people in the discernable cosmos who LOVES fruitcake!
     I also love plum pudding.  Alas! - plum pudding is as forgotten now as 'SUGAR JETS' and the Bill of Rights!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK..............WILL SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME A RECIPE FOR HOMEMADE FRUIT CAKE?????????? LOL >>>  tendernoggle@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love fruitcake!!!  YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, spam is not tolerated,