Friday, October 15, 2004

Report card

Report cards came out today. I have a star student. She made the star roll! Straight A's on her report card! I am so proud of her! She is so smart. As I signed her report card I had a memory of getting my report card signed.

I remember when I got my report card from school I was always proud of it. In those days you got an E for excellent not an A. I would show it to my Mama and then I would ask her not to sign it. I wanted my Daddy to do it. My Daddy had beautiful handwriting. When he was in school it was called penmanship. He always wrote with a fountain pen. It was only on the rarest of occasions that I ever saw him fix an ink blot that he had made. He would hold his pen above the paper and swirl it around with his fingers before placing the nib to the paper, then a work of art would appear. The curves and lines in his name alone to my eyes were so beautiful. I can close my eyes and see his name now. My daddy taught me how to write. My mama always insisted that I learn to write neat because she had chicken scratch for handwriting and did not want me to have that. I am proud to say, when I wish, I can write very well.

7 comments:

  1. You brought back memories of my own Father. He used a fountain pen as well and wrote beautifully. I have never been able to write the way he did.  Congratulations on your student, you must have taught her very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BROOK'S STRAIGHT A'S ARE FOR THE MOST PART BECAUSE OF HER VERY DEVOTED MAMAW!
    WAY TO GO BROOKIE! ASK MAMAW IF SHE IS GOING TO TAKE YOU OUT TO LUNCH OR SOMETHING FOR THOSE A"S.....(SORRY CELESTE, BUT YOU KNOW I HAD TO DO IT) LOL!!
    KIM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how proud you must be of Brook!!! I hope she continues to do good in school. My mama had beautiful penmanship too...and I taught myself to write just like her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Brooke!  

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is a little girl to be proud of. I was so proud when my grandson brought his grades up this time to two B's and the rest A's. This was good because he has to spend so much time with band. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a very sweet memory.  I too use to call it penmanship and secretly would dream of being a champin penmanshiper! LOL!

    Unlike you, my parents when I need my report care signed would respond with (#&$(#& @#)$*&)#* When in _#*$#*_#$_#(_$), Dont they know I have other )#*$)#*$)@#*)$&*# thing to do. (!$_*#$.

    LOL!  Those was the "good old days!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY for Brooke! I always wanted to have pretty hand writing to. never happened though. lol

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, spam is not tolerated,