Monday, April 16, 2007

the weekend

This was a long weekend. I spent the whole day Saturday getting ready for company that did not show up because the storms decided to hit. Pat and I made the most of the day. It was spent playing spades and pool. I loaded up the crock with my ingredients for spaghetti sauce and cooked that for our dinner. Pat loves my spaghetti and the crockpot makes it so easy. Susie on the other hand had a miserable day. She was in labor all day. All she did was follow me around and asked for a belly rub! Any pregnant woman can tell that a belly rub feels good! She would follow me outside, into the bathroom, even when I gave the hated dog a bath. She stayed right by my side! I was her midwife and she was not going to let me out of her sight! Bedtime finally came for me and I was ready! I had been up since 6:30 and I wanted my pillow! This was not to be. Susie was NOT going to let me sleep! She was on the bed and off the bed. She was crying and flipping and there was to be no peace! Finally I got up and went to her box and she promptly hopped in. Around 3 am she finally gave birth to a baby. Not in the box though. I had gotten up and gone to the bathroom, obliviously bad timing on my part! She popped that baby out in the bathroom doorway! She grabbed it up and ran back to her box. She was a proud mama. Her purring while she cleaned her baby was a sound to behold. I thought this is good I can get some sleep now. I mean after all this was not her first rodeo! She has had kittens before. WRONG! After a few minutes she got out of her box and got on the bed, panting in my face. So this time I got a blanket and laid on the floor next to her box. I fell asleep for a bit and woke to Susie laying on my chest panting. She got back in her box and stayed there. About 6 am I got up and went to bed. She was nursing her baby. I thoght that somehow she had lost the rest of the babies. I knew there had been more than 1 because of all the rubbing I had done to her belly! 9 am I am up again. I felt like I had been run over by a mack truck. I had to get up because Scampi needed to go potty outside. I looked in her box and she had 3 tiny babies: black, white, and gray striped. I think that these are the biggest babies she has ever had. These will be her last liter of babies. She is happiest when she has babies. She is a mama thru and thru. She will defend her babies even after they are grown and can easily defend for themselves. LOL She walked into the kitchen last evening and some of the other cats were in there eating and she cleaned house! She beat on 6 cats and 1 dog and made them all leave! 2 were at one door, 2 were at the other door wanting out and 2 were in the highest place they could get to on the couch! Scampi had ran and hide under Pat's feet! LOL
I am tired today and will take it easy, maybe. LOL

12 comments:

  1. I just love kittens......cannot wait to see some pics...I hope Susie settles some...but it is great that she is a good mama....enjoy the kittens
    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the new kitties!  Have a great week!  Hugs,TerryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. BLESS HER HEART!!! POOR SUSIE....ISN'T IT AMAZING HOW SHE WANTED YOU THERE CELESTE??? SHE WAS PROBABLY HURTING SO BAD THAT SHE WAS SCARED TO BE BY HERSELF...AND KNEW YOU WOULD SAVE HER IF IT GOT TOO BAD! HOPE YOU GET SOME SLEEP TONIGHT, I KNOW YOU ARE PROBABLY WORN OUT! I LAUGHED WHEN YOU SAID SHE WOOPED THE OTHER CATS AND SCARED THEM SO BAD THEY RAN! LOL LOL
    LOVE YA,
    CARLENE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Susie!  You sure had a busy weekend playing midwife!  What a miracle to see, though.  Aren't we all happier when we have babies to tend to?
    Enjoy your day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see a pic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You obviously made a very good midwife Celeste, with Susie staying right by your side, no wonder you were tired. Do we get to see a photo of the kittens?

    Love Sandra xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your grandkitties and to Susie the mother. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations!  cant wait to see the pics of your new kitties.  what a proud mama she must be!
    hugs
    noelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once again -- thank you for the story and the picture!!

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so pleased to here that the cat and kittens were doing well.

    John.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww!  Congratulations, grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Celeste
    Awww, thanks for sharing this tender story.  You are such a good Mom to your kitty laying with her on the floor like that and rubbing her belly to ease the discomfort.  I'm glad the pregnancy came to conclusion with no complications.  I know you will enjoy watching these little kittens as they grow.  Now, get some rest, Mom.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, spam is not tolerated,