Thursday, February 1, 2007

winter, poop and other issues

We have our winter weather today. At 4:30 in the morning it was beautiful, at 4:00 in the afternoon it is messy. Winter just does not know that it is supposed to stay cold enough around here so that on those rare occasions when we do get snow we can play in it! No snowball fights, snowmen or anything. Slush balls maybe. By 8 this morning it was already raining. Now our danger is that the wet will turn to ice tonight. It is what I fear. Pat went to work and it will be dark and cold on his way home. What if he hits ice and goes off the road? There are quite a few places where he could go off and if no one is looking for him they won't see him.

So anyway I am here alone. Brook had no school today and her mama did not work so she is over there. I did talk to her today. She called and interviewed me. LOL She needed to interview a grandparent for a homework assignment and that would be me.

The animals are doing good today. Precious was wet this morning which I fully expected. This is not a barn horse! She will not use the ppotty in the stall no matter what! I closed her up in the barn stall once and the next morning I had no door on the stall! There was no poop either. I have seen her leave the barn go poop and then head back. She will poop in the horse trailer. Crystal on the other hand is an entirely different story. That horse will poop as soon as she enters the stall. Her favorite spot is right in front of the door. She won't eat her hay out of a hay rack (she tore it off the wall several times) so it goes on the ground. At least once a week she turns around and poops in it looking at me the whole time. No skin off my back. It is not my dinner she is pooping on.

Baby is doing fine. Still not eating the grain. I will work on that next week. I just want to get thru this time when she may develop the scours.

My back is doing better. I have bben wearing a heat pad all day while up. I think it is helping. more than likely what is helping is I am not doing anything that will restrain it!

Well off to the games. See yall later.

9 comments:

  1. My previous horse, Pleasure boy, not only stepped outside his shed to poop, but always pooped in the same spot.  Stud-pile, someone told me.  Even though he was a gelding, not a stud.  You can google stud pile.  LOL.

    As long as you don't overfeed the  calf, he will probably be fine.  Or if he does scour, you'll be able to get him back to normal pretty easily.  Calves bought on a farm, rather than at a sale-barn, aren't as likely to get sick.  Just keep a little grain in front of him, he'll eventually eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL..this city girl is no help to you at all...accept to say...glad your back is doing better...Hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It is not my dinner she is pooping on."

    This...is why I love you!  
    I can't stop laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are doing better!   Hope you calf ends up eating the grain soon!  Hugs,TerryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always interesting for this suburban girl to read about your life and the animals. I really enjoy it. Margo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I grew up on a farm, I'm scared of horses.  I think they're beautiful, but I don't want to be too close to one.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photo's are realy lovely .Loved reading more on the horses what a laugh the one who poops on his food LOL!! It reads so funny to me haaaa!!.I am happy to read your back is much better.What a beautiful horse in the photo's that one looks.
    Take care keep warm.God bless.
    Astoriasand  http://journals.aol.co.uk/astorisand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad that your back is better. Keep doing what ever you are doing, or not doing what ever you are not doing. give it time to heal. It is funny how each animal has it's own personality. I know you enjoy them. I just have a dog and a cat and I just love their own little funny ways. have a blessed day

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am laughing over this post!! Your mare is a rare treat not messing up her stall. I'd glady clean up after her anytime. Crystal sounds like my old guy, he has to crap in his stall as soon as he gets the urge. Gah, he is such a messy gelding. Luckily he doesnt like to urinate in his stall because he lays down a lot.

    I hope you stay warm and dry

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, spam is not tolerated,