Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cold, pain, and horses


It is cold here tonight. I know it is not as cold here as it is in some places (Donna in Missouri)BUT>>>>THIS IS GEORGIA!!!! It is 16 degrees with a wind chill of 4. That is cold and it is to get colder. It is now 15. Dang I better quit saying how cold it is!. Anyway I do not mind the cold so much because I have a warm home to be in. there are people and animals out there that will not survive the night because they are outside trying to survive. The homeless shelters are packed as full as they can safely do so. There will be people asleep in hospital lobbys and police will take people in to the station for loitering or something else just so they will have a warm place to be for the night. Even though, we will hear about someone that has died due to the cold. People forget about the animals. Sure they have fur coats but they are not polar bears(at least most aren't). They cannot build a fire or go into a Waffle House for a cup of coffee to get warm.
If you have any blankets that are just sitting around and never used, winter coats you have outgrown, take them to the shelters. They will be greatly appreciated.


We have a hurt horse. Crystal hurt her leg pretty bad. NOT the right weather to do that sort of thing. Not sure what happened. We believe she got into some barbed wire some where. This happened yesterday. Today her leg is swollen up to her knee. The vet left us some bute and a tetanus shot in the cooler outside the office. Real cool. They trust us to pay and others to not steal it. Country. She is in so much pain. It hurts me to see her. In addition to the shot and pain meds, I have to wash her leg at least once a day and apply some ointment to the cut 3 times a day. Hopefully she is not crippled by this. She is cut at her fetlock. For those of you that do not know what I am talking about, here is a link to a page so you can see It is part #16

The doctor released me. No need to go back until next year. Now I have to make an appointment with my other doctor to get bloodwork. I have gained 15 pound in 4 weeks. That is pretty much a good sign my thyroid is out of whack. I am really hating this.

Anyway life goes on.

4 comments:

  1. We are lucky if we think about it Celeste, like you say we have warm homes and food to eat. So many don`t have those things we take for granted.


    Love and ((Hugs))

    Sandra xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always say that we here in Ga. are spoiled during the winters with the 50-70 degree weather we normally have and when it gets to be serious winter weather, we get scared ! lol Hope you are feeling better.
    love,
    carlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are 3 horses up the road who have no shelter at all in this brutal cold. It was -15 the other day and when we went by that morning there they were waiting for the owner to come feed them. There are trees they can go under but you can tell they usually stay by the fence. I guess there have been calls made but there they remain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so dangerously cold in so many places. I'm so sorry Crystal hurt her leg, and I hope it heals well. Poor girl! Glad your doctor released you. I know that weight gain has to be hard to deal with. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, spam is not tolerated,