Thursday, May 10, 2007

thursday

The littlest baby kitten did not make it. It died sometime during the night. It was nursing vigorously yesterday. I thought it would make it. It has been 3 weeks and 5 days. I am afraid that it did not get any of the first milk. That will do them in almost every time.

One of the kittens has a cold in its eye. I believe I caught it soon enough. All I can do is clean it and open it and wash it out. It is too young to give it any medicine, even the eye kind.

Susie moved the babies again. This time she moved them under Brook's bed. If i did not know better I would say that Susie was a gypsy! Always on the move.

My peas are popping up in the garden. The corn is still sitting there doing nothing. I tell you, it really needs rain! They are calling for a 40% chance of rain tomorrow. I don't believe it. The grass is dry and crunchy just like it is in July! We really need some of your rain Donna!!

Spirit is home. She arrived home today. I will be walking her for 20 minutes at a time starting tomorrow. This will be for the next 60 days. After that she will be allowed to go into the pasture for short periods of time.

I have to get busy. I need to go get some new sprinklers for my garden.

12 comments:

  1. so glad Spirit is home....that must be a huge relief for her owner....
    Sorry about the kitten....hope all goes well with the rest.
    take care
    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our rain has stopped, and the flood waters have retreated a lot today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about the little runt!  Glad Sprirt is home!  
    The gods take, the gods give!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWWWWWWWWW I am sorry about the baby kitty Celeste...:-(
    My mama says a cat will move her kittens if someone is touching them alot OR there is a rat around...
    love ya,
    carlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww... poor kitty! You are right though, if they don't get that first colostrum milk they often don't fare well :(

    Yeah on Spirit however! I currently have one here that I have to walk for 30 minutes 2x a day... And that 30 minutes sometimes draaaaaags. <LOL> However, I tough it out because the poor baby spends the rest of his day stuck in a stall. I'll bet Spirits owner is ecstatic to have her baby home!
    http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind/
    http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Growing up on the farm I suffered the heartache of seeing kittens get sick and not make it.   I used to go hide in the bathroom closet (for some reason) and cry.  I just now remembered that.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the kitten. Glad to hear Spirit is getting well.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Celeste
    I'm sorry the littlest kitty did not make it.  It is sad, but a fact of life.  Life is so fragile, we should treasure it and nurture it.  I'm glad to hear Spirit is back home now.  It sounds like you both will be getting your exercise, LOL.  Good luck with the corn, we are in drought type conditions down here in this corner of the state, too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww poor baby kitty....Nature is weird.

    you can have our rain, it is thundering over my house as I type this. I have nothing but mud everywhere. Everything is flooded. it sucks.......cept maybe we'll get a good early first hay crop

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry about the kitten, too. But am glad to hear that Spirit is home, and doing well. I hope you get some rair, really soon. Margo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes there is something wrong on the inside that makes them not survive...it is hard to lose a baby! I always have my heart broken over and over again about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry about the smallest kitten.  I hope the others do well.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, spam is not tolerated,