Wednesday, June 27, 2007

See what I have

Yesterday evening I went out to check on my hens. I had babies running around and no mama in sight. I kept calling and she showed up. She was hurt. No blood or anything but you could tell she was hurt. After an hour or so of chasing chicks I finally managed to catch them all minus 1. One ran into the chicken pen and the other chickens killed it. Out of 14 babies I now have 6 chicks left. I brought them into the house last night. Sometime during the night the hen died. This morning I fixed up a bird cage and placed the babies in it. One by one I reached in and removed a baby out from under Mama's wing. Even in death she tried to protect them. Now I have baby chicks in my living room. I will have to keep them in for a while. I will have to place a lamp in the cage to they will have warmth. I might be able to save them all.

14 comments:

  1. cute but I bet they are meeeeeessssy.

    Much Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww they are pretty. Hope you are able to save all of them. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with the baby chicks....and may they all live to give you many delicious eggs???  being a city girl....that is about all I know about chicks....that they grow up to give eggs....unless of course one of them is a he...then you have an early "alarm clock" in the making.....LOLOL...hugs from a silly person in KY.....Ora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you can save those little chicks ~ I wish you luck with them ~ Ally x

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwwwwwwww...they are sooooooooooo cute! Hope they make it.
    love  ya,
    carlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least they look large enough to have already learned from the hen how to peck, eat, and drink.  If so, that'll go a long way in their survival.  If not, we have put another "baby" from elsewhere in with them to show them how.  And I have managed to get one or two to understand by hitting the feed with my finger in a pecking motion.  Hope they all come through it.  They are precious!  -  Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry your hen died....I hope those babies survive...if anyone can do it you can!!!
    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. aweee how sad hope those chicks make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are so adorable!! I'm sorry the mama died.  I hope they do ok.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please let everyone know what you plan to do to these little chicks!  LOL!

    It's not like they were going to live a long life in retirement!  

    ReplyDelete
  11. My eyes got moist at the thought of her protecting her chicks when she was dead.

    We are mulling over leaving the city and moving to the country...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Celeste!  Keep us posted on these cuties.  So sorry about their mom, but I know it's just life on the farm.  

    ReplyDelete
  13. You'll have to be mum now.
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aren't you just the sweetest, kindest, I missed reading your journal. gg/Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, spam is not tolerated,